Sunday 12 January 2014

Linux Mint Update Manager Levels

I decided to go ahead and run Update Manager. It wanted to download and install around half a gig of updates.

The update process went quite well, only two files had a conflict where I already had a file but the update wanted to overwrite it. Apparently the default is to keep things as they are but seeing as I had barely used the system, I decided to let the update overwrite them with their own. Ordinarily, I would go with the system default and keep my files instead.

I was worried about updating the kernel but I needn't have been. The Update Manager assigns updates various levels from 1 to 5. At the 1 end are the most safe and tested updates. At the 5 end are the most risky ones.

Linux kernel updates are in level 5. By default, Update Manager only shows and allows updating of levels 1 to 3. If you decide to change this (which I probably won't), just right-click the Update Manager icon in the system tray and select "Preferences" and there is an option to show them. You have to have Update Manager already open in order to get access to the "Preferences" option.

The pic shows my own updates at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts